Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Echoes of Nature: Solo Exhibition at Off the Kerb Gallery : Friday Feb 4th 6pm-9pm


Please join me at Off the Kerb Gallery, 66B Johnston St, Collingwood. Opening night Friday February 4th from 6-9pm. Exhibition runs from Feb 4-25. Gallery opening hours are Thurs & Fri 12:30pm-6pm, Sat & Sun 12-5pm.


Echoes of nature is a collection of playful, intricate works inspired by the patterns created in nature. This body of work stemmed from drawings I made during a month long stay at the Julia & David White Artists’ Colony in Costa Rica in 2009. Crumpled, dying leaves captured my attention and then my imagination to re-create something original.
  I like to use ink to draw my illustrations: I can make distinct, solid lines yet still create a sense of flow and movement. 
  I’m fascinated with repetition: I love making copies, and copies of copies…they’re never really quite identical. The photocopier is an important element of my creative process – it allows me to make quick copies of my work, but also to enlarge, reduce, crop, reverse and modify my images in countless ways.
  Collage then takes me back to that childhood feeling of joy and playfulness: I cut things up, add bits, take away, move things around, stick them down and then add even more ink. Guided by intuition, this method allows me to re-construct the natural forms to create new, yet similar images that echo each other. 
  As I explore the endless possibilities of creation, I hope to evoke a feeling, a memory or reaction and inspire you to stop, reflect and appreciate. The final arrangement allows the eyes to play.

Please join me at Off the Kerb Gallery, 66B Johnston St, Collingwood for the opening night on Friday February 4th from 6-9pm.




2 comments: