Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Illustration Friday - Slither

This week, I started my illustration classes at Emily Carr University - how exciting! I thought I would combine my homework for the class with this week's IF challenge - slither.

I once had a dream that I had a pet snake, which would wrap itself around my arm. It was during a time in my life when I was going through a lot of personal change and realizations... The black silvery snake represents that very dark side of me, that even I hate. I guess I was subconsciously coming to terms with it, letting the snake become my friend and stayed wrapped around my wrist, to remind me that I can be poisonous, but I can tame that. I later learned through a dream dictionary that snakes represent transformation - funny that!

This image was created using pencil, and I used ovals instead of normal shading to give my composition form. I think it adds something unique to this image, very fitting for snake like textures.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I think the concept is very interesting and very personal. I really like your story and I thought this was a very creative approach. I hope your professor like this illustration as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Nice detail and line work Maja!

    ReplyDelete